Hey! Who’s going to pay my medical bills?

If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, your first thoughts will be- How will I get treatment? Who will pay all of my medical bills? These questions could be the most frequently asked of attorneys. Since there are many different types of injuries and many different sources of coverage for medical bills, we are going to focus this writing on medical treatment and bills resulting from a car accident in Massachusetts.

In the state of Massachusetts, as well as a few other states, the auto insurance carrier for the vehicle in which an injured person was either operating or a passenger in is responsible for the initial payment of bills for medical care. This coverage is called personal injury protection (PIP). PIP covers the driver and passengers of the vehicle that was involved in the accident, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. That is why PIP is also called “no fault” insurance. Keep in mind that there is a limit to the amount of PIP coverage that is available. Beyond this point, the explanation of coverage can be a bit complex so it’s important to contact an experienced car accident attorney.

Once the insurance carrier that is responsible for PIP benefits has been identified and you have reported the car accident to them, the process of applying for PIP benefits is fairly simple. We’ll briefly explain the process. The first step is to complete and return the application for personal injury protection benefits that is usually provided to you by the insurance company. Along with this application, there will be a few other forms that you will need to complete which will give the insurance company authorization to request your medical records, review your wage and salary information (if you are seeking lost wage reimbursement), and will let the insurance company know what type of health insurance coverage you have available to you. This may seem like a lot of information but these forms can normally be completed within a short period of time.

After the application is complete, you can ask your primary care physician for a referral for follow-up medical treatment. Regardless of where you treat, it’s important to let the physician know that you were involved in a motor vehicle accident. There are several steps to take to make sure that your medical bills are properly paid and that you are receiving all of the benefits that should be provided to you under PIP coverage. If you would like a more in-depth explanation of this process, you are strongly urged to contact one our our experienced car accident lawyers today as there are some applicable time limits.

Free Consultation

As always the consultation is free and there is never a fee unless we are successful!